Contact Us Now
Phone/Fax:   (03) 347 2268
Mobile:   021 370 068
Or Email via our form

Class 2, 4 & 5 Driver Licence Courses & Testing


You need the right class of licence for the vehicle

You need a class 2, 4 or 5 learner licence before you earn your heavy vehicle licence (ht licence) in New Zealand.

Licence Class Definitions:

  • Class 2 - Rigid Truck with a gross vehicle mass of more than 6,000kg but no more than 18,000Kg
  • Class 4 - Large Rigid Vehicle - Any rigid vehicle with a gross vehicle mass of more than 18,000Kg
  • Class 5 - Heavy Combination Vehicle - Any combination vehicle with a gross combined weight of more than 25,000Kg

How to get a learner licence

To get your learner licence, you must apply at a driver licensing agent

You will need to:


Download factsheet 70 from NZTA


Once you have your Learners